Monday, January 2, 2012

Crafty in Corso

Our first Christmas in Corso was a whirlwind of a month full of parties, good food and bottomless drinks :)

It also meant that we had to be smart with our budget and not to go overboard. Thank goodness, we embraced the life of crafting this season and ended up with some great gifts that were personal and easy on the wallets :)

Our first project was homemade ornaments for a family Kris Kringle Ornament exchange. A visit to our local Dollarama gave us plenty of options for materials. We walked in without any ideas and came out with these:

I made glitteriffic dumbbells for my sister-in-law, who is an athletic outdoors machine who also loves fashion.



Matt made an ornament for his other sister depicting a scene of a Christmas tree faling on his mom, lol. True story. Everyone laughed for a good couple of minutes when that was unwrapped on Christmas day.



For our parents, we took a page from one of my favourite blogs, The Art Of Doing Stuff. We visited our favourite local shops in Corso Italia and put together a food gift pack with pasta, rosemary infused olive oil, mini Panetonne, waffle cookies, and paired it with our favourite bottle of Sangiovese.

Cat not included...


And finally, the piece de resistance. Our Canadian inspired guest room was missing bedside tables. But not wanting to buy new furniture, I needed a crafty alternative that would be functional and cheeeeap. So, when I found some Hudson Bay popcorn tins on sale, I turned this:


...into this:


Doesn't get anymore Canadian than that! The popcorn tins were on sale, but I had a giftcard, so they were "free." The legs came from Ikea and cost $20 for a pack of four. They were easy to drill into the tin (I only used three), but I had to be careful not to drill right through otherwise the nail wouldn't catch. If I wasn't lazy, I could have added a piece of wood in the inside of the can for extra reinforcement, but the legs seem really stable without that.

Not too bad for our first crafty Christmas in Corso :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!